Elements of a Mystery Lesson Plan
Free lesson plan for 4th grade and up
Students will work in small groups of 3-5. They will read, analyze, and arrange mystery events and characters to determine how mysteries are constructed.
Academic: Reading, Problem Solving
Social: Group Collaboration
- Materials needed
Printouts of MysteryNet's Kids Solve-it, MysteryNet's Kids Chiller, MysteryNet Twists, Story Web printout (One for each group)
Large Group Directions
- Discussion of small group etiquette: speaking softly, listening to each other, taking turns, and encouraging each other
- Read the MysteryNet Twist out loud as a class
- Review Story Web Worksheet
Small Group Directions
- Read mystery again.
- Use Story Web Worksheet to analyze, arrange, and order events and characters in the mystery.
- Did the students respond positively to this activity?
- Were the students able to collaborate effectively in the small group using proper etiquette and the Story Web worksheet?
- Were the students able to analyze the mystery?