Mystery Writing Lesson Plans
Free lesson plan for 4th grade and up
Given a mystery photo, students will follow the mystery
writing format to develop their own original mysteries.
Academic: Creative Writing
Social: Peer Work Evaluation
- Materials needed
Printouts of MysteryNet.com mysteries
Contest, paper, pencils or computer with word
processor, Story Web Worksheets (one for each student).
- Review writing techniques with students.
- Review Story Web Worksheet for outline.
- Using the photo from the MysteryNet Flash Mystery and
the Story Web Worksheet, begin brainstorming possible events,
characters and setting for the students' original mysteries.
- Students will write, edit, rewrite.
- Exchange stories with friends. Ask each other for constructive criticism.
- Rewrite after peer collaborations.
- Present to class.
- Were students able to follow the principles of writing a mystery?
- Were students able to analyze the mysteries?
- Were students able to effectively collaborate with each other?